Sunday, October 12, 2014

Israel: A Light Unto the... Far Right

Here's just a snippet from an edited extract from Shlomo Sand's new book, How I Stopped Being a Jew. Sand is an Israeli historian and author of those two myth-busting must-reads, The Invention of the Jewish People (2009) and The Invention of the Land of Israel (2012):

"I am aware of living in one of the most racist societies in the western world. Racism is present to some degree everywhere, but in Israel it exists deep within the spirit of the laws. It is taught in schools and colleges, spread in the media, and above all and most dreadful, in Israel the racists do not know what they are doing and, because of this, feel in no way obliged to apologise. This absence of a need for self-justification has made Israel a particularly prized reference point for many movements of the far right throughout the world, movements whose past history of antisemitism is only too well known.

"To live in such a society has become increasingly intolerable to me, but I must also admit that it is no less difficult to make my home elsewhere. I am myself part of the cultural, linguistic and even conceptual production of the Zionist enterprise, and I cannot undo this. By my everyday life and my basic culture I am an Israeli. I am not especially proud of this, just as I have no reason to take pride in being a man with brown eyes and of average height. I am often ashamed of Israel, particularly when I witness evidence of its cruel military colonisation, with its weak and defenceless victims who are not part of the 'chosen people'." (Shlomo Sand: 'I wish to resign and cease considering myself a Jew', theguardian.com, 11/10/14)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! Is realization that not all Israelites are Jews dawning?

"For they are not all Israel which are of Israel; neither because they are the seed of Abraham are they all children… but the children of promise are counted for the seed." Romans 9:6-8.

"And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's seed and heirs according to the promise" Galatians 3:29.

Hope that this would become obvious for Shlomo Sand also!

"For he is not a Jew which is one outwardly, nor is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew which is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, and not in the letter' whose praise is not from men but from God." Romans 2:28,29.
"For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh." Philippians 3:3.
"For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God." Galatians 6:14-16.

MERC said...

Uh huh...

Anonymous said...

Do Israelis circumcise hearts ?

Anonymous said...

@Do Israelis circumcise hearts ?

Obviously not.

Anonymous said...

As my eyes glazed over reading the first comment, perplexed and confused as was the intention, my mind turned to the 1995 press conference with the great French Manchester United and french international player, Eric Cantona.

Eric Cantona was sentenced to 120 hours community service,teaching children to play, for retaliating against an abusive opposition fan.

The memorable line was,

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea, thank you"

As well as an iconic footballer Eric Cantona is a talented actor and most importantly he has the courage to speak truth to power. Cantona campaigned for the release of a member of the Palestinian national football team, Mahmoud Sarsak, imprisoned by the Bandit State without either charge or conviction, between 2009 and 2012.

I bet Frank Lowy didn't join that campaign. It is about time BDS was widened to include all sport.

patrick connor said...

Why not ?